Welcome to LanguageUK
Your first day at LanguageUK, which begins at 09.00am, is very much about getting to know the staff and your fellow students.
Your normal start time after the first day will be 9.30am.
You will be met by our staff: Joanna the Director, Sue the Manager, Noel the Director of Studies and Verity Head of Student Services. Our induction meetings take place in our ‘relax area’ of the school. We will give you your Student Pack which contains the Student Handbook, local magazines, maps of the area and London and lots more. All the information you need to help and guide you in your stay here with us at LanguageUK.
We may need to take a copy of your passport or ID and visa and you will then be issued with a LanguageUK Student Card.
You will be given a language test if you have not already completed one, so we can determine your level.
You will be given a brief introduction to the school to explain the following:
- the timetable, class times, lateness and absence procedures
- how to contact us during your stay including an emergency number
- safety issues in the town
- coffee breaks and kitchen facilities
- the Social Programme for the week
- how we can help you with organising your own trips
- the Fire Drill procedure
- the Wi-Fi code
- our Open Door policy
- Our school policies
- For under 18’s- specific policies, the parental agreement, curfew times and safeguarding (where relevant)
We will also check that you are happy with your homestay.
You will be given a tour of the building, including the offices, classrooms and toilet areas.
In addition, Muslim students will be offered:
- a room for prayer if required
- details of how to attend the mosque on Friday afternoons
- information about the Halal food restaurant, ‘The Spice Cottage’
All students will attend their first class on the Monday at 9.30am
Students under 18 years old
If you are under 18, Student Services will hold a meeting with you during induction to ensure that you are aware of the LanguageUK guidelines and rules.
Educational Advisory Service
We offer a professional Educational Advisory Service which can help you if you wish to continue your education in a British or American College or University after your course with us.
More and more of our students wish to obtain internationally recognised qualifications in English to help them in their academic or professional careers. At LanguageUK we have a long record of success in preparing candidates for English Language Examinations, including those set by:
• the British Council/Cambridge English Language Assessment
• Cambridge English Language Assessment
• the Educational Testing Service (TOEFL)
We will discuss with you the following:
- opening a bank account and registering with the doctor
- police registration issues where necessary
- that the first tutorial takes place at the end of the first week and then on a monthly basis with the Director of Studies
- whether you wish to join a church or mosque