Welcome to LanguageUK –; your first day
Prior to your arrival you will receive a booking confirmation. This will give you all the information you will need before you leave home. This includes:
- your course details
- your accommodation details
- confirmation of your transfer (if you have booked one through LanguageUK)
- a pre-departure pack with lots of helpful information
On your first day you will be greeted by one of our friendly team members who will welcome you and show you where you need to go. You can meet other new students and get to know them over a cup of coffee in our common room.
Introduction and School Tour
If you have not already completed it on-line, you will be given the LanguageUK Placement Test so that we know your level of English and can find the right group for you to study in.
Our Director of Studies will give you all the information you need to get you started on your first day. You will be given an Induction Questionnaire, maps of Broadstairs College and the local area, a Student ID badge, your Weekly Timetable, a Wi-Fi and Emergency Contact Card and a copy of the Social Programme. You will also have a full school tour, so you know where everything is.
There will be an introduction to the school during which the following will be explained:
- the timetable, class times, lateness and absence procedures
- coffee breaks and kitchen facilities
- the Social Programme for the week
- the Fire Drill procedure
- the Wi-Fi code
- specific under 18’s- policies, the parental agreement, curfew times and safeguarding
- our Open-Door policy
- our other school policies
- safety issues in the town
- how to contact us during your stay including an emergency number
- how we can help you to organise your own trips
We will also check that you are happy with your homestay accommodation.
In addition, Muslim students will be offered:
- a room prayer, if required
- details of how to attend the mosque on Friday afternoons
- information about the Halal food restaurant, ‘The Spice Cottage’
All students will attend their first class on the Monday at 9.30am
Students under 18 years old
If you are under 18, Student Services will hold a meeting with you during induction to ensure that you are aware of the LanguageUK guidelines and rules.
Educational Advisory Service
We offer a professional Educational Advisory Service which can help if you wish to continue your education in a British or American college or university when your course ends.
More and more of our students wish to obtain internationally recognised qualifications in English to help them in their academic or professional careers. At LanguageUK we have a long record of success preparing candidates for English Language examinations, including those set by:
- Cambridge ESOL/ the British Council
- Cambridge English Language Assessment
- Trinity College London
- The Educational Testing Service (TOEFL)
We will discuss the following with you:
- opening a bank account and registering with the doctor
- police registration issues where necessary
- that the first tutorial takes place at the end of the first week and then on a monthly basis with the Director of Studies
- whether you wish to join a church or mosque
First Week Feedback
Here at LanguageUK we value our students’ opinions, so we love getting feedback. You’ll be given a First Week Feedback Form on your first day which we will collect at the end of the week. This is a great way to let us know how you’re getting on and if you’re having any problems. Our Student Services Team is always available if you need anything during your first week or at any other time during your stay.