Intensive Course – Afternoon Options
This is the most popular option outside the summer as many of our students during the academic year are planning to take the IELTS exam at some point.
You will study for 8 hours per week and during this time you will focus on the following:
- Essential exam strategies and techniques for each component in the IELTS exam
- Learning to develop autonomy
- Structured exam practice
- Formal and academic writing skills
- Listening comprehension and note-taking with spelling practice
- Speed reading, skimming and scanning for information, leading to effective comprehension
- Speaking skills in both general and academic contexts
Courses start every Monday throughout the summer and the maximum class size is 10
Life Skills could include:
- English for work
The Skills for work programme is designed to give students a good introduction to the many skills, functions and tasks that take place before, during and after working in a professional environment. This course is very popular and the focus is mainly on practising your speaking skills and expanding your knowledge of “natural” vocabulary in the work place. The topics are related to experience of working using English both in the UK and abroad and to the language needed in “real life” working situations. For students with lower levels, the focus of the class is to give you plenty of practice in real and authentic situations that you might experience while staying in the UK. For higher levels we offer the opportunity for you to take part in debates, role plays and presentations.
“Life in Britain”
The Life in Britain course is designed around the students we have at a certain time and also the length of their stay. This course is very popular and the focus is mainly on practicing your speaking skills and expanding your knowledge of “natural” vocabulary. The topics are related to your experience of living in the UK and to the language needed in “real life”. For students with lower levels, the focus of the class is to give you plenty of practice and experience in real and authentic situations that you might have to participate in while staying in the UK. The course also looks at aspects of British life and culture through video, written text and discussion. For higher levels we offer the opportunity for you to take part in debates, role plays and presentations.
Cambridge Exam Preparation (FCE And CAE)
Who the course is for
The courses are aimed at students who wish to improve their English for academic or employment purposes and who need an internationally-recognised qualification for their careers. Admission to the Cambridge First Certificate programme requires a minimum B2/Upper Intermediate level and to the Cambridge Advanced programme C1/Advanced level. You can choose to take this option at any time of the academic year and you will also have the opportunity to take the exam in the UK if you are taking your course with us during the time of the official exam dates.
Classes: During this course you will be given the opportunity to:
- Focus on each component in the examination
- Improve your grammar and vocabulary knowledge
- Practise your speaking and fluency skills
- Develop your ability to write the different types and styles of text needed for the examinations
- Learn how to read faster and better in preparation for the examinations
- Understand the techniques and strategies required to pass the examination
- Complete structured exam practice