Terms and Conditions
1) Confirmation of Booking
- Bookings are confirmed upon receipt of completed enrolment form and are only guaranteed when payment has been cleared through our bank. Payments must be made in full before the commencement of the course.
Disclosure of information
Students/agents/parents should disclose any relevant medical information and details of disabilities to the school at the time of application. All Students studying at LanguageUK agree to the disclosure of their information to appropriate bodies as required by the data Protection act.
- a) If host family accommodation has been booked, LanguageUK will provide the student with a profile of the family.
- b) Students must indicate at the time of booking any special requests, dietary needs or allergies.
- c) LanguageUK reserves the right to cancel accommodation booked if there are concerns about the guest’s behaviour. No refunds are made in these circumstances.
- d) Students leaving accommodation for weekend breaks will not be given discounts/refunds.
- e) Long-term students taking holidays during their study period must in advance:
- Inform the school
- Inform the host and remove all personal belongings from the homestay to prevent being charged. Or pay a holding fee to the home stay.
- f) LanguageUK is not responsible for any damage or loss of property whilst in accommodation arranged. Students are also advised that they should take out personal/travel insurance to cover their belongings against theft, loss or damage.
- g) Any complaint regarding a family must be made immediately and a complaint form completed. Complaints will be thoroughly investigated and any necessary action will be taken.
- h) In the event of incompatibility between a guest and a host, LanguageUK will find a replacement home stay.
- i) Arrival day should be on a Saturday or Sunday. Mid-week arrivals incur an extra charge of £20. Mid-week arrivals in the summer period are not possible.
- j) Students wishing to extend their accommodation beyond the end date may do so but must contact our accommodation officer. For extended periods, which are shorter than a week, accommodation will be charged on a per night basis. £25 per night is charged for standard, £40 per night is charged for Premier and Executive.
- k) There will be no refunds for students leaving pre-booked accommodation early (discretionary refunds may apply under special circumstances).
- l) Students must always ask permission before allowing friends in the house.
- m) Students must take great care not to lose or misuse the key(s) to the home. Cost of replacement £ 10.
- n) If a student who is here decides to terminate their accommodation early, there must be a minimum notice period of 1 week or 1 week’s accommodation fees in lieu.
- o) Please note late arrival fees may apply for Home stay after 10.30pm.
- p) Our School is closed over the Christmas Period. Students wishing to leave their belongings at their accommodation over this period will be asked to pay 50% of the standard weekly rate.
- q) If parents attend a course with their children on the family programme, it is the parents/Guardians responsibility to take care of their children at all times whilst in the homestay accommodation. Parents/guardians are responsible for the behaviour of their children and must encourage them to respect the accommodation and the rules of the house. Under no circumstances must the children be left alone in the accommodation
3) We take our responsibility for younger students very seriously so if a student is under 18, we will endeavour to ensure that:
- a) They return home by 11pm. Otherwise our hosts are instructed to contact the school immediately and school may contact the police to report them missing.
- b) They provide written permission from their parents one week before coming should they wish to stay out overnight or go on an overnight trip.
- c) If a student under 18 does not come to class, the teacher will tell the school office immediately and the school will contact the student immediately.
- d) All under 18’s must complete a parental consent form at least 4 weeks prior to arrival, this information is shared with our homestay hosts.
4) Students under the age of 18
In our main school, we accept students from the age of 16 on our year-round courses. All bookings on these courses are made on the basis that there will be students on this course aged over as well as under the age of 18.
Students under the age of 18 are children in British law. All students under 18 are expected to abide by UK laws which relate to the restriction of activities to under 18 year olds: in particular the purchase and consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
If any student under the age of 18 wishes to study on any course at LanguageUK, the person or people with parental responsibility for them in their own country should complete a consent form. This form outlines the rules and conditions that will apply for the school to be able to accept a booking for a student under 18. The form can be obtained from the school, from our website or from your agent. If for any reason the school does not receive the consent form, it will be assumed that the general rules and conditions outlined in the form have been accepted by the parents/guardian of the student.
5) Sponsored Students
If you are being sponsored by your Embassy then a provisional letter of sponsorship is required before you can be issued with a visa letter or booking confirmation. You will not be permitted to start your course until we have received a full letter of financial guarantee.
6) Documentation in Support of a UK Entry Visa
- a) If documentation in support of an application for a UK entry visa is required, this can only be supplied after a deposit of £50 has been received to cover administration costs and courier fees if required. In the case of a visa refusal, the £50 is non-refundable.
You must pay the balance of your course fees in full 4 weeks before the start of your course. Students on courses of 12 weeks or more can pay in instalments of 12 weeks. Each instalment must be paid 4 weeks in advance. We accept payment in pounds sterling and in euros. Payment in euros is only accepted for invoices issued in euros, so please let us know on your application form if you want to be invoiced in euros.
8) Cancellation Charges
- a) The following charges will apply in the event of a cancellation other than that caused by serious illness or bereavement:
- Cancellation from 30 days up to 7 days in advance: 30% of the course fees.
- Cancellation less than 7 days in advance: 50% of the course fees
- b) LanguageUK will deduct the cost of any bank transfer charges incurred in making a refund.
- c) In the event that the student is dissatisfied with his/her course, LanguageUK will do their utmost to rectify the situation in favour of the student. If the student remains dissatisfied and has a valid reason to feel this way, then LanguageUK will refund the remaining fees to the student.
9) Cancellation of a Course by LanguageUK
- a) In the unlikely event that the number of students on a course or in a class drops below the minimum number required to make a course viable, or if there are other events which are outside our reasonable control, LanguageUK reserves the right to cancel all or part of that course and/or activity programme. In most cases, students will be offered an alternative. If no alternative arrangements can be made, or if the alternative arrangement is unacceptable to the student, a full refund of fees will be made. Once a refund has been made, LanguageUK shall have no further liability.
If you want to postpone your course, please do this in writing. You may not postpone a course due to start within the next 28 days. You may only postpone if there is space available on your chosen course dates.
To take a holiday break in your course you need to inform us in writing 28 days in advance of your proposed holiday. Fees are not refundable, but you will be given credit that you can use to extend your course. If the holiday is authorised it will not affect your attendance. If you take an unauthorised holiday (e.g. you do not attend school but have not completed a Holiday Request Form) then your attendance will be affected and the relevant parties involved will be informed.
- a) LanguageUK, its directors, employees, representatives, agents, homestay hosts and sub-contractors will not be liable for any sickness, injury or death of a student, any damage caused to a third party by a student or repatriation costs. LanguageUK strongly recommends that students take out adequate insurance.
13) Liability in respect of Transportation and Airport Transfers
- a) LanguageUK will not be liable for delays or cancellation of transportation arrangements, including airport transfers and missed flight departures, caused by bad weather, traffic congestion, road closures, official safety or security advisories, sickness or incapacity of drivers or vehicle breakdown. LanguageUK strongly recommends that students take out adequate insurance.
14) Loss or Damage to Personal Property
- a) Students are responsible for their own money and personal possessions at all times.
- b) LanguageUK, its directors, employees, representatives, agents, homestay hosts and sub-contractors will not be liable for any loss of money or loss of or damage to any personal possessions. LanguageUK recommends that students take out adequate insurance.
15) Medical Conditions and Insurance
- a) Any disability, allergy or medical condition which may affect mobility or general health, must be declared at the time of booking. All students, who are not from the EU or covered under reciprocal health care arrangements, must have adequate medical insurance for the period of their stay.
- b) It is the student’s responsibility to declare any special educational needs to LanguageUK prior to or during the booking process.
16) Photos and Videos
LanguageUk sometimes takes photos and videos of students to use in marketing. You will always be asked and please tell us if you do not consent.
17) IMPORTANT – STUDENT ABSENCES
- a) All students should attend all classes that they have enrolled for on their course. No refunds are given for classes that students are absent for, except under special circumstances.
- b) LanguageUK reserves the right to refuse admission to any student or to dismiss any student without refund of tuition fees in the event of misconduct or unsatisfactory attendance or work. The school expects students to attend all classes during their stay. If your attendance falls below 80%, you may be withdrawn from the course and no refund will be given. Students will only receive a leaving certificate if their attendance has been 80% or more.
- c) You should be aware that information about your application, enrolment, attendance and progress at the school may be passed to the Immigration and Nationality Directorate of the Home Office for purposes connected with immigration. Your agent/parents will also be informed of any issues by LanguageUK.
- d) Records are kept of non-arrivals, non-attendance and attendance for all students on student visas. Students in breach of their entry clearance conditions will have action taken against them, including notification to the Home Office. If students terminate their course early, the Home Office will be notified of their withdrawal from their course at LanguageUK.
All students are subject to the school’s policies and procedures, which can be found on our website.
Enrolment for a course implies agreement to abide by these procedures.
We reserve the right to exclude a student due to misconduct. In this case there will be no refund of fees.
We reserve the right to confiscate inappropriate items from students aged under 18.
We reserve the right to search the bags/rooms of students aged under 18 unless advised otherwise by parents or agents.
LanguageUK accepts students on the assumption that they are in good health.
We do not accept responsibility for: loss or damage to any property belonging to the students; injury or loss of life to any participant; loss or expenses due to delays or changes in air, rail, sea or other services, weather, quarantine, sickness, strikes or any other cause.
It is the student’s responsibility to have a valid passport and to arrange all permits and visas.
Students are responsible for any damage they may cause and will have to pay the full cost of replacement or repair.
If you have booked via an Agent, their Terms of Contract may apply to you, but we reserve the right to apply our own Terms.
We reserve the right to take any fair and reasonable action we think appropriate should a situation arise not covered by these Terms.