Who the course is for
- Students aged 16 or over and with a language level of Elementary or above can sign up for our General English course.
- You may wish to gain important English qualifications to further your learning
- Be a retired individual simply wanting to improve your English for travel purposes
- A professional for whom communication in the workplace is an essential element in your job.
Whatever the case, you will be sure to find something to meet your needs at LanguageUK.
General English Plus – Intensive Course
15 hours per week General English plus 8 hours per week afternoon options (IELTS, Cambridge exam or skills for work – Business or Travel and Tourism)
Number of weeks Course Price per week 1 to 2 weeks £245 3 to 4 weeks £235 5 weeks plus £225 General English Plus – Intensive Course combined with 8 hours Private tuition per week in the afternoons
(23 hours per week)
Number of weeks Course Price per week 1 to 2 weeks £565 3 to 4 weeks £555 5 weeks plus £545
There is a booking fee of £50.00 on all our courses.
Visa Letter if required £50 (non refundable)
Intensive English Course – 23 hours of class per week
Days of the Week Morning Session (15 hours per week) Afternoon Session (8 hours per week) Monday to Thursday 09:00 to 12:30 13:45 to 15:45 Friday 09:00 to 12:30 afternoon free Morning break 11:00 to 11:15 each day
During the mornings you will be allocated a class according to your level of English. We will always send you the entrance test prior to your arrival unless otherwise instructed. Our teachers will use a course book that follows a sequential approach to grammar and vocabulary learning. They will also use a number of other resources and materials either in text form or from a selection of media including the internet, radio and television. You will be given the opportunity to:
- Improve your knowledge of grammar
- Learn new vocabulary through speaking, listening and reading
- Be exposed to and take part in conversation to improve your fluency
- Focus on your writing skills, looking at different types of written text and register
- Practise your pronunciation including individual sounds, stress and intonation
- Consolidate what you have learned through regular review activities
Approximately 1 hour of homework will be given to you every day. If you are a long term student, you will be given a test on a regular basis so that you can track your progress.
Courses start every Monday throughout the year and the maximum class size is 8.
You will be given the option to study in a different class during the afternoons and depending on the number of students attending we have different course options available.
1. IELTS Preparation
This is the most popular option outside the summer as many of our students during the academic year are planning to take the IELTS exam at some point.
You will study for 8 hours per week and during this time you will focus on the following:
- Essential exam strategies and techniques for each component in the IELTS exam
- Learning to develop autonomy
- Carrying out structured exam practice
- Formal and academic writing skills
- Listening comprehension and note-taking with spelling practice
- Speed reading, skimming and scanning for information leading to effective comprehension
- Speaking skills in both general and academic contexts
If you would like to know more about the IELTS exam, read our blog HERE. It includes a table that compares the IELTS levels to the levels of the Common European Reference Framework (CEFR).
You can find further information on the IELTS exams website
2. Skills for work programme
- English for Business
- English for Travel and Tourism
The Skills for work programme is designed to give students a good introduction to the many skills, functions and tasks that take place before, during and after working in a professional environment. This course is very popular and the focus is mainly on practising your speaking skills and expanding your knowledge of “natural” vocabulary in the work place. The topics are related to experience of working using English both in the UK and abroad and to the language needed in “real life” working situations. For students with lower levels, the focus of the class is to give you plenty of practice in real and authentic situations that you might experience while staying in the UK. For higher levels we offer the opportunity for you to take part in debates, role plays and presentations.
Example modules – English for Business M1 Soft Skills in the Workplace M5 Emailing M2 Workplace Vocabulary M6 Business Structures M3 CV Writing and Job Interview M7 Presentation Practice M4 Speaking on the Telephone/SKYPE M8 Socialising and social networking Example modules – English for Travel and Tourism M1 Soft Skills in the Workplace M5 Emailing M2 Workplace Vocabulary M6 Investigating Travel and Tourism M3 Customer Service in the industry M7 Presentation Practice M4 Speaking on the Telephone/SKYPE M8 Visitor Attractions
3. Cambridge Exam Preparation (FCE and CAE)
Who the course is for
The courses are aimed at students who wish to improve their English for academic or employment purposes and who need an internationally-recognised qualification for their careers. Admission to the Cambridge First Certificate programme requires a minimum B2/Upper Intermediate level and to the Cambridge Advanced programme C1/Advanced level. You can choose to take this option at any time of the academic year and you will also have the opportunity to take the exam in the UK if you are taking your course with us during the time of the official exam dates.
Classes: During this course you will be given the opportunity to:
- Focus on each component in the examination
- Improve your grammar and vocabulary knowledge
- Practise your speaking and fluency skills
- Develop your ability to write the different types and styles of text needed for the examinations
- Learn how to read faster and better in preparation for the examinations
- Understand the techniques and strategies required to pass the examination
- Complete structured exam practice
Approximately 1 hour of homework will be given to you every day. If you are a long-term student, you will be given a test on a regular basis so that you can track your progress.
Courses start every Monday and the maximum class size is 10
Our tuition fees include:
- All tuition
- All course materials for students booking 3 or more weeks
- Monthly tutorial with the Director of Studies for students attending for more than four weeks
- End-of-course Certificate of Achievement and proof of English level
- Free WiFi access throughout the school
- Free use of kitchen facilities to prepare lunch if required
What is not included?
- Accommodation fee
- Visa Letter if required
- Registration fee
- Bank charges
- Travel and airport transfer
- Examination entry fees if required